Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Appendectomy

Last Wednesday night I stayed up really late blogging. Before I went to sleep my stomach felt weird. It felt kind of like hunger pains. I didn't think to much of it and went to sleep. At 4 in the morning I woke up with extreme pain in my stomach on my right side. I tried to with stand the pain and go back to sleep. Well within 15 min. I woke up Dustin & told him I was hurting bad. He was half asleep and just kind of said OK. He finally woke up and looked up my symptoms on the computer. I took some gas pills, thinking if this is just gas maybe it would help. Well within 15 more minutes I told Dustin I was going to the hospital.

I decided if I was driving I was going to the closest hospital. I haven't ever been there before and I don't know of many people who use this hospital. The ER got me back pretty quickly. After hearing me moan from pains they finally gave me some pain meds. I then had to drink 2 of these super large bottles of this nasty concentration. They did a CT scan. The good news is the pain meds helped me feel a lot better. The bad news was the nasty concentration tore my stomach up. So I was in and out the potty for the next several hours.

At 10 the Dr. came in and told me that it is definitely my appendix. He said I would need it out asap. So at 11 the surgeon came and asked me if I was ready. NOOOO!!! I'm here alone and my husband is trying to get up here. The good news is they were a little slower at getting me upstairs and ready. Dustin was able to get the girls dropped off and up to the hospital literally before they rolled me to the OR. Thank you so much Dorothy for watching the girls!!!

Recovery was OK. It took me a while to really wake up. The hardest part was dealing with pumping to keep my supply good. I think I missed 7 hours between pumping. I'm still trying to decide if we're back to normal. Well I went home on Friday. After I told my mom I was going to surgery, her and my grandmother jumped in the car and drove to TX from TN. So my mom came and picked me up from the hospital. The first couple of days I felt bad. I was still hunched over pretty bad. I felt a little like a wimp because they did laparoscopic surgery. The good news is now 5 days out I feel so much better. Needless to say I still have to be cautious about what I pick up. I can pick Peyton up, but in her carseat she is way to heavy. So that is my appendix story. I said bye to it last Thursday at the hospital.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Glad you are alright. I had my gall bladder out when Annie was 5 weeks old. I had it out laproscopically too. It is still surgery and I was pretty sore too. I had to pump too. That was sort of difficult. I am glad that you got in when you did. My brothers burst back in April or May and he was in the hospital for 2 weeks in ICU. Nearly killed him. Serious stuff.

Lyndsey said...

So glad you're feeling better. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon!!

Jill said...

Sorry that you've had a crappy week. I know that hasn't been fun! I tagged you in one of my posts. Read it. Maybe you will have time to do it since you're laid up in bed. :)

Lauren said...

I am so sorry I have totally dropped the ball on getting back to you! You guys can come out when ever you want to! We only have a twin bed to offer but I'm sure we can make it work. Let me know when you can come and I'll let you know if it will work. Get feeling better soon!!!

Dorothy said...

It was MY PLEASURE to watch those girls!!! They were really really good and Hey it kept my kiddos occupied Which reminds me I took pictures that day I need to send them to you they are funny :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling better. Can't believe you were able to drive yourself to the hospital in that kind of pain! Which was harder to recover from, c-section or appendectomy?

Jennifer Knight

Keva said...

I cannot believe you went to the hospital by yourself! Glad you are better. WOW! That's a doosie!

Lori said...

C-section was harder to recover from, but I think having recently had a c it made this a little harder than it should have been.

Dorothy I definitely would love to see pictures.